First Stop Drug Services
This service has now closed. Services in Havering are now delivered by WDP
About the service
First Stop & CAT is a welcoming open access centre in Romford for anyone experiencing difficulty with drugs & alcohol, including friends and family who may be affected by substance use issues. The service is free and confidential for those living in the Havering Borough and who are18 years old and over.
The service is for people from all backgrounds and aims to offer a culturally sensitive approach to all. We have a number workers and volunteers with a range of language skills and we have access to interpreters.
This service is linked with the Community Alcohol Team
We take into consideration all the factors that may make a person reluctant to seek help or advice, including those who:
- have children and may have social services involvement.
- have mental health issues alongside their substance misuse problems
- are involved with the criminal justice system due to their substance misuse
Service users will have opportunity to meet with experienced drug & alcohol workers who can offer support, advice and counselling. The service is non-judgemental, discreet, confidential and free, empowering people to find workable solutions and develop plans to deal with their problems.
We offer a range of interventions and support including:
- One to one and POD recovery support
- Foundations of recovery group programme
- Detoxification (for alcohol users)
- Needle exchange
- Complimentary therapies: acupuncture and relaxation
- Mutual Aid: CA & SMART
- Peer led support
- Service User Involvement
- Support for Family and carers who may be affected by someone else’s substance misuse
- Gender Specific services
- Translation services are available on request.
Support to access a wide variety of other valuable services is also available and includes:
- Education, training and employment services
- Benefits and housing advice
- Residential rehabilitation
- HIV/Hep B & C testing and vaccinations
- Medically assisted recovery.
Engaging with our services may enable you to make changes that can have a positive impact on other areas of your life, including:
- Physical health
- Mental health
- Financial situation
- Legal situation
- Housing situation
- Social/family/relationship situation
- Education & employment
Make an appointment
If you would like to make an appointment, please come along to our first contact sessions held daily in our drop in service. Please contact the service on the number below for details.
If anyone attending the service is on medication, it's advisable to bring details of this as well as details of their GP, particularly if they are wishing to be scripted and are to be referred onto our prescribing service (partnership agency).
Make a referral
Referrals can be made over the phone, by fax, email or in person. If an external agency contacts the service asking to make a referral, we would send them a referral form by email/fax or suggest they ask their client to attend daily drop in service to make self referral.
Can’t attend your appointment?
Service user can text, telephone, email or call into service. They can just explain who they were due to see and when and we will endeavour to arrange a new appointment as soon as possible.
(if client is a criminal justice referral it is important they call as soon as they realise they can not attend and provide evidence of why they can not attend ,e.g.GP/hospital appointment letter, , as there may be repercussions of them not attending if on a DRR or an arrest referral for Required Assessment)
Other sources of local support
- Havering PASC (Public Advice & Service Centre)
- Havering Citizens Advice
- Havering Mind
- New Directions (prescribing service)
- Lifeline (Employment centre)
- SHP (Single Homeless Project)
- Family Mosaic
- Havering College
- Age Concern
- Romford Probation
- Havering Social Services
- Havering Social Services - report a concern about a child
- Women’s Aid
- Romford Police
- Romford Job Centre
- Queens Hospital A & E
- Harold Wood Poly clinic
- Milner Elridge Solicitors
The service is located in Romford Town centre. Can be accessed by numerous bus routes . Romford overground station in South street is a 5 minute walk away. Unfortunately the service does not have parking facilities, but the Brewery car park and Angel Way car park are a 2 minute walk away.
The service is located at the bottom of Romford Market place, a few doors along from Poundland, service is next door to Bridal Shop. The words Ballard Chambers are in large letters above our door. There is an intercom system. The black cab taxi Rank is immediately outside.